Wednesday, 12 March 2014

We exited our residence and saw Vietnam in the daylight for the first time. It was undoubtedly a hard kick – right in the culture. Hygiene plays no role here; we were confronted by the loud snorting and hawking that one without shame would perform in order to spit on the floor. This was done quite triumphantly I might add. I pledged that I would never, under any circumstances, walk barefoot in Vietnam. Before we could do any sightseeing, we headed to an area called My Dinh (where I am currently sitting) to extend my girlfriends visa. We entered the Korean travel agency and my girlfriend presented them with the habitual bows and greetings that any ethical Korean would exchange. I was just a tag-along (that we would later find very beneficial) I gave an awkward wave and let them go about their business. It turned out that bringing me along sent a strong message that my girlfriends English was good, very good - so they snapped her up to teach their children. Word spread that a new round-eye-dating Korean was in town and the job offers flew in. My girlfriend was now in high demand. After that we decided that it was time for some food and begun our search for something to eat. We came across some edible looking street food which turned out to be Pho, their national anytime-meal. We ordered by pointing at what we had assumed to be beef and sat down, debating what would appear before us. The food arrived, looking fairly tasteless and bland. We were mistaken, it was delicious. It was a beefy broth, tasting of lemon grass and spring onion. In the broth was a heap of noodles along with our mystery meat. Hunger forced us to eat it without reservation. Now content, we paid (a very low fee) and left only to find a few butchered dogs around the corner.